The Importance of Spaying and Neutering Your Pet
Whether you have a kitten, puppy, or a recently adopted pet, it is essential to make sure he or she is spayed or neutered. Veterinarians recommend having your pet spayed or neutered as a safe and effective way of eliminating negative habits and promoting a long and healthy life for your pet. Our team at Dr. Jean Fromm in Grand Junction is here to help your pet throughout the process.
What Is Spaying or Neutering?
Spaying (for females) or neutering (for males) means removing all or part of an animal’s reproductive organs. This can be performed as a routine surgery or laparoscopically at our clinic. In females, this means removing the ovaries as well. Spayed females will also not go into heat and attract unwanted males.
Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery
- Reduced risk of cancer – Spaying can reduce the risk of breast tumors, uterus infections, prostate cancer, and ovarian cancer.
- Prevent the pet from going into heat – when a female goes into heat; they often urinate frequently and indiscriminately on floors and furniture. A heat cycle is 4-5 days every three weeks.
- Marking territory – Pets often mark their territory by urinating. This can be very smelly, particularly when it is inside the home. Neutering can help eliminate the problem.
- Eliminate wandering behavior – As pets develop, they can wander around the neighborhood looking for someone to mate with. When they roam, pets can get lost, hurt, or bother others.
- Controlling the pet population – Pets are abandoned at shelters every day. There are not enough homes for the 6.5 million animals found every year. Spaying or neutering can help diminish that number.
We Are Here to Help Your Pet in Grand Junction
If you need your pet spayed or neutered, contact us at Dr. Jean Fromm. Dr. Fromm and her team will perform a complete exam to get your pet prepared for the procedure. We are committed to providing the highest quality of care for pets in Grand Junction and the surrounding areas. Give us a call to see how we can help you and your animal.